Fulfill a neighbor’s need with our Wish List project
April 2, 2020
Social distancing is a critical part of slowing the spread of COVID-19. In an effort to keep all Ohioans safe, the state made the difficult decision to suspend visitation at facilities where people receive care, including Ohio’s six state-run psychiatric hospitals. In the best of times, getting psychiatric care can be challenging and bring about feelings of isolation due to the stigma surrounding mental illness. Treatment feels even lonelier when you can no longer have visits from family, friends and other support people.
In an effort to support our community, The Adult Advocacy Centers and a group of partner organizations have reached out to the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services to find out how we can help. Together we have assembled Amazon Wish Lists that include items like coloring supplies, journals, crafts, games and other forms of entertainment for our neighbors receiving care at our state psychiatric hospitals. We are also working with the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities to roll out a similar program for people in the state’s developmental centers soon. Links to each hospital’s wish list can be found below, and detailed step-by-step instructions for using Amazon Wish Lists are at the bottom of this page. Items from the Wish Lists will be automatically shipped directly to the hospital’s Volunteer Coordinators after purchase, for disbursement to patients. You must have an Amazon account to participate.
Appalachian Behavioral Healthcare Hospital
Athens, 92 beds
Wish List: http://a.co/gm8VqS4
Heartland Behavioral Healthcare Hospital
Massillon, 128 beds
Wish List: http://a.co/e9L3UK0
Northcoast Behavioral Healthcare Hospital
Northfield, 258 beds
Wish List: http://a.co/3NhSezY
Northwest Ohio Psychiatric Hospital
Toledo, 116 beds
Wish List: http://a.co/iyhrcwu
Summit Behavioral Healthcare Hospital
Cincinnati, 291 beds
Wish List: http://a.co/bKXypEc
Twin Valley Behavioral Healthcare Hospital
Columbus, 178 beds
Wish List: http://a.co/8iQqbK2
Please consider donating from these lists. We hope that this project helps the individuals receiving much-needed mental health care at our hospitals to know that they are not alone. We are, indeed, all in this together.
Step-By-Step Instructions for Using Amazon Wish Lists
- Click on a Wish List link above, then add items to your Amazon cart. You can only send items to one location at a time, so orders for multiple hospitals and your own personal Amazon orders must be made separately. You must have an Amazon account to participate.
- When you’re ready, click the “Proceed to checkout” button.
- Under “Choose a shipping address,” select the hospital’s Volunteer Coordinator, who should be listed first under “Other Addresses.”
- Click the “Use this address” button.
- Under “Choose gift options,” you can write a gift message for each item if you like. Make sure to keep your message positive and only use your first name if you choose to sign it.
- Click the “Save gift options and continue” button.
- Under “Choose a payment method,” select the way you want to pay for your order.
- Click the “Use this payment method” button.
- Under “Review items and shipping,” choose your shipping preferences.
- Review your order to be sure everything looks correct. Double check that the shipping address is to the hospital’s Volunteer Coordinator.
- When you’re ready, click the “Place your order” button.
- You did it! Thank you for your support!